Growth Areas Infrastructure Contribution

Building or developing in a fringe suburb of Melbourne?

Since 2010, if you buy, subdivide or undertake building work large enough to require a building permit, you’ll need to pay the GAIC or Growth Areas Infrastructure Contribution. This is basically a tax designed to support infrastructure development in fringe suburbs of Melbourne.

If you’re buying a new development, it’s likely the GAIC has already been paid by the developer. But if you’re buying an existing property, you may need to pay.

We can help you understand how the GAIC affects you so you don’t get caught out with an unexpected tax bill.

Which areas affected are affected by the GAIC?

  • Casey City Council
  • Cardinia Shire Council
  • Hume City Council
  • Melton Shire Council
  • Mitchell Shire Council
  • Whittlesea City Council or
  • Wyndham City Council.

How we can help

There are some GAIC exceptions that apply and you may be able to apply to defer your payment or get some relief from the tax in exceptional circumstances.

We can help you: 

  • Understand your GAIC liability
  • Arranged staged payment applications
  • Make applications to defer your liability
  • Apply for relief from the tax under the undue hardship provisions

Free Consultation

For advice on how the GAIC affects you, contact us today on 1300 556 140.